Search This Blog

Thursday 25 November 2010

Thing 5: Creative Commons

Jimmy Eat World live @ Brixton Academy November 2010

I can't imagine why any would want to use my work but there it is.....Creative Commons license added to this blog.

I have freely used other people's Creative Commons licensed work on my blog (including people's Flickr images and the brilliant xkcd web comic) so I guess it's only fair to return the favour.  However when it came down to the crunch I was tempted to go for the more restrictive license and I notice from other 23 things blogs that I wasn't the only one to feel like that.  I don't really know why I felt like that but I also felt like that about my Flickr pictures too, and yet I'm sure if anyone was mad enough to use my work I'd feel very honoured they did. 

Having thought about it for a while and inspired by some of my favourite bands who, in the name of creativity, are a lot more open now about sharing their work and allowing others to share it, I decided to go for a fairly open license instead.  Then, freed by my decision, I started to add a Creative Commons license to some of my Flickr pics too.

Summary of thing 5: my blog looks much prettier thanks to the Creative Commons license and other people's work so it's only fair to share and share alike.  The Creative Commons banner is now displayed at the bottom of my blog.

Photo: Jimmy Eat World live at Brixton Academy, November 2010 taken by Ellie now licensed under the Creative Commons by-sa

No comments:

Post a Comment